Activities for Mother’s Day in Elmhurst
On a day set aside to celebrate motherhood, you can seek out a new or cherished experience to have with your children and grandchildren.
This guide outlines some special dining options, outdoor excursions and unique experiences for this special weekend – all in close proximity to Park Place of Elmhurst.
Enjoy a Special Meal
Gathering around a table and sharing a meal is a powerful way to connect with family on Mother’s Day. Whether you want to sit down for a nice brunch or an elegant dinner, Elmhurst is home to several local restaurants that fit the bill.
Consider the following establishments as you plan your special day:
- Egg Harbor Café: Serving breakfast and lunch all day, you can enjoy Aimee’s Gourmet Griddles, a delicious Door County chicken salad, or a breakfast bowl. They feature a gluten-free menu and a kids menu with items like French Toast Fingers and Green Eggs and Ham.
- Fresh Start Cafe: Featuring an extensive menu and an option for catering, there is something for everyone at this Elmhurst original.
- Francesca’s Amici: For a more upscale dining experience, head to downtown Elmhurst for an Italian meal. They feature a dining room menu, kids menu, wine and cocktail list, and more.
Spend Some Time Outside
A Midwest Mother’s Day is often one of the most beautiful days of the year. A day spent in the fresh air can be just what’s needed to feel revived and rejuvenated. The grandkids can run off their energy, and you can find a comfortable spot in the shade or join them meandering through the springtime blossoms.
Here are a few places you can visit with your loved ones on this special day:
- The Morton Arboretum: Soak in the beauty of the spring blooms on Meadow Lake over a Mother’s Day Brunch. The arboretum features several outdoor exhibits that are both enjoyable and educational about native trees and other flora.
- Lilacia Park: This world-renowned horticultural showcase in nearby Lombard features walking paths, historic structures, well-placed benches and scenic lookout areas. Over Mother’s Day weekend, they have several of their regular events and a Rosie and the Rivets concert from 2:00 to 3:30 p.m. on Sunday, May 8.
- Wilder Park: In close proximity to Elmhurst Public Library, the Elmhurst Art Museum, Wilder Park Conservatory and Formal Gardens, and Wilder Mansion, this cultural hub features floral displays, playground equipment, picnic areas and much more.
- Salt Creek Greenway Trail: Whether you’re ready for a leisurely walk or a longer bike ride, this 25-mile trail is family-friendly and even leads to the Brookfield Zoo.
Try a New Activity
Sharing a new experience with a grandchild can create a cherished memory for you both. Elmhurst is home to unique establishments that specialize in entertaining people of all ages.
Here are some activities that might interest you:
- Do It Together Workshop: With an older grandkid, the Do It Together Workshops are a great way to collaborate on a project and connect in a special way. You’ll create a memento of your time together that you’ll proudly display in your home.
- Escape Factor: You could enjoy this problem-solving adventure with the whole family. The escape room venue is among the finest in the Chicago area, and it will engage kids and adults of all ages in a fun, collaborative mission.
- York Theatre: Enjoy a family-friendly movie in style at this historic York theatre. Relax in their heated recliner seats and indulge in the free refills of popcorn.
- Chicago’s Theatre of the Air LIVE!: In nearby Wheaton, Illinois, come enjoy this outdoor performance inspired by Frank L Baum’s classic, The Wizard of Oz, showing on Saturday, May 7, and Sunday, May 8, from 11 a.m. to noon. Be sure to bring blankets and chairs for seating on the lawn.
Live Every Day Your Way at Park Place of Elmhurst
This Mother’s Day is an opportunity to create special memories with your family. Branch out and discover what springtime in Elmhurst has to offer you and your loved ones.
Park Place of Elmhurst offers Independent Living with numerous amenities and access to health care services. Showcasing beautiful environs and Elmhurst’s rich cultural center just a short distance away, visit us at Park Place and see how you can live every day your way.