As the weather starts to cool and the leaves start to change, we turn our minds to the end of the year and all the good times ahead. The fall months may welcome cooler temperatures, but the change in weather also brings on the extra chores of home upkeep.
“The fall and winter months bring a lot of prep work for home maintenance that can be time-consuming,” says Beth McGowan Welch, Executive Director at Park Place of Elmhurst, a Life Plan Community in the Chicago-area region.
Even if you are looking forward to the arrival of the fall and winter months, you may not be excited about all the work you have to do to keep your house in tip-top shape. Wouldn’t you rather figure out a lifestyle that works better for your goals and provides a higher quality of life? Moving into senior living, says Beth, can be the answer to all your wants and needs.
“An Independent Living residence is the perfect solution for older adults who want to enjoy everything their retirement has to offer but who also want a more comfortable floor plan and a lifestyle that allows them to live life to the fullest,” Beth explains. “Other options, like a senior living community that offers different levels of care, can improve your quality of life now and in the future.”
Starting the downsizing process and making a move now, says Beth, can be the best thing you can do to set yourself up for 2022 and beyond. “Moving now means you’re able to take advantage of our Moving Special, set up your new home the way you like and be ready to host family members and friends during the holiday season.”
How does downsizing to independent living make your life easier?
Downsizing to independent living provides a lot of benefits. First, you get rid of a large (and often expensive) home and move to a floor plan that works better for your current and future needs. Second, you enjoy a maintenance-free lifestyle – everything from cleaning to maintenance to even cooking is provided for you. Third, you are in a place that provides excellent senior care so that you can age well and always enjoy a high quality of life.
When should I move to independent living?
It’s never too early to move into independent living. Some individuals choose to move to independent living in their early retirement years while they’re still healthy and active. Others may wait until they are unable to take care of all the things related to homeownership. Still, more individuals might want to move into independent living to live safely instead of choosing assisted living facilities. It all depends on what you want out of your lifestyle and future.
What is the best method of decluttering (and getting ready to move to senior living)?
For seniors, one of the best ways to go through the decluttering process is to hire a Senior Move Manager®. These individuals specialize in helping older adults move from a large home into senior living. They are full-service experts who can help with the entire process: downsizing your belongings, setting up estate sales, getting your home ready for the market and moving you into your new home. To find a senior move manager near you, visit the National Association of Senior & Specialty Move Managers (NASMM). (They also have an excellent guide to downsizing available as a free download.)
Why should I downsize before fall?
Right now – before fall begins – is the perfect time to make a move. Here are just a few of the reasons why.
- You take advantage of the best of everything. Right now, the housing market has never been hotter, and it’s the perfect time to take advantage of that. At the same time, you’re able to list your home and move while the weather is still nice and cooperative.
- You beat the rush. The beginning of the year is when many individuals begin looking for independent living communities for themselves or a loved one. By moving now, you have your pick of places and have more options of floor plans, availability and options.
- You won’t have to deal with winterizing your home. At the end of summer, your home still looks beautiful, your landscaping is fresh and you don’t have to yet start doing things like covering your pool and raking leaves. Moving before fall means that you never have to do those winterizing chores again – not to mention never having to shovel or deal with frozen pipes ever again!
- You’ll be all set to enjoy the holidays. Fall and winter are chock-full of festivals, events and celebrations that are absolutely enjoyable and beloved. By moving before these events begin, you’re settled in and able to enjoy them to the fullest without having to schedule around packing, organizing and moving.
- You can make the community your true home. When you move at the end of summer, you’re able to familiarize yourself with the community and start feeling at home. That way, when it’s time to celebrate the holidays, you’ll be able to truly celebrate “at home.”
Discover the Difference at Park Place of Elmhurst
Park Place of Elmhurst is a different kind of retirement community – you’ll enjoy a lifestyle unlike any you’ve experienced. A lifestyle that is maintenance-free with lots of helpful services, remarkable amenities with engaging neighbors just outside your door – all backed by Providence Life Services, a Christian-based organization that’s been a trusted name in Chicago-area senior living for more than a century.
Offering Independent Living, Assisted Living, Skilled Nursing and Rehabilitation and Memory Support, Park Place of Elmhurst provides peace of mind. Residents of Park Place have made the decision and moved into a Life Plan Community that will ensure whatever life change happens, Park Place is the right place for all their care needs. One of the fabulous benefits of choosing a Life Plan Community is the peace of mind knowing that you have made the decision and partnered with a community committed to providing all the levels of living from the day you move in.
We encourage you or your loved one to contact us to learn more about our exclusive community or schedule a personal tour by calling 630-239-5127.